Sunday

On the Side

One of the wonderful privileges that I have is working with the Lambuth University Women's Basketball team. I first became involved with the team through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. I was a chapel coordinator which enables me to have chapel time with the team once a week. After the first 2 years of involvement Coach Lori Jones left and a new coach James Walker came to Lambuth. After our first year together he asked if I would travel with the team and be more hands on- the team chaplain if you will. I agreed to do my best. After 3 years Coach Walker left - enter Coach Joe Reints. Joe is single and all about basketball. He give me full access to the team. I am entering my third year with him. I travel with the team as much as I can.

Last year I instituted "One on One." Each player is scheduled a specific time to meet with me. The purpose was two fold. It helped me to get to know the new players quicker. It also helped me to establish a greater trust factor and give us time to talk about them and their needs. Oh, did I mention the team this past year won the NAIA National Championship! Wow! We were overwhelmed to say the least. We were so grateful to God and immediately after the clock ticked to zero and the score was final we bowed center court to thank God for all he had done. We were not a team unaware. It was a miracle. God was doing much in the win. Most of it was wonderful, some of it was painful.

Winning teaches us a lot about ourselves. A lot. So... in about a month I will begin my 8th year with the team. Sometimes I think about the year and the 35+ regular games, chapels, one on ones, meetings, etc. and I think whew! Lord, I need some supernatural energy. He supplies. Always just what is needed, just when it is needed. Our God is faithful.

No comments: