Wednesday

Eat, Pray, Love

I am not a reader by nature. I read, but I am a very selective reader. Most all of my reading has to do with my faith, teaching bible study, etc. In August my friend Lisa Harper said, "You've got to read Eat, Pray, Love." It was a strong recommendation from a woman who travels all over the US leading christian women's conferences. So.... I bought the book. I thought worse case scenario I'll take it on my trip and read it on the plane. First of all the book is a true story. Elizabeth Gilbert is a real person. She is a magazine writer in New York. So I began reading. I couldn't put it down. I have heard "readers" say this, but not me. But I couldn't put it down. Her story intrigued me. The way she articulated, intrigued me. Her quest for life, intrigued me. I read the book. The WHOLE book.

Elizabeth Gilbert was on Oprah this week. Turns out a LOT of people are reading the book. Eat, Pray, Love has spent 35 weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List. Elizabeth's personal quest to find out who she is awakens a similar journey in us all. There are parts in the book that are WAY too honest, way too transparent but its her book not mine. There are things in the book I don't agree with. There are times I wished she had been bolder in her faith statements. But..... with all that said, it certainly evoked something in me. Something good. Something God. It's a good read. During her interview with Oprah this past week she was asked what she continues to do that keeps her life quest alive. She said she does 3 things.

1. She asked herself the question"What do you want?"

Oprah quizzed, "You mean what do you want today or what do you want out of life?" Elizabeth said "No, just simply what do you want?" I have found that the most common answer is happiness but women especially don't really know what would make them happy. So get specific, what do you want?

2. Watch for "happy moments" during the day and journal them at the end of your day.

She said, "crappy moments happen too, I just decided to not keep a crappy journal but a happy journal. It keeps your focus in the right place. It doesn't have to be big. It could be as simple as a trip to the mailbox and sunlight broke out on you." Happy Moments.

3. Change your mantra.

She explained, "Our mantra is the internal talk we tend to do with ourselves. Some people constantly repeat, I'm a jerk, I'm no good, I'm a loser to which I would have to ask, "How's that working for you?" Change your mantra - life phrases that you live by. The medicine man in Bali told me, "Everyday laugh. Laugh from your liver" I remember that. I live by that. It works for me.

Well..... that's my book report for the month (maybe the year, I'm not a reader you know!) I'm thinking about these 3 things. They aren't profound but they are valid. I 'm really focusing on my mantra. I like that.... Laugh from your liver.........

No comments: