Wednesday

I'm not going to mow the grass anymore!

Recently, I read a devotion out of the Daily Bread that stuck in my mind. The title was "No more mowing." It was about the mayor of a small town in Kentucky who stopped mowing his lawn in 2005. He has put up a sign on his property that reads: “There are more important things in life than tall grass.”He said that he has several reasons for not cutting the grass, one of which is his wife’s death from cancer. That loss caused him to reflect on the priorities of life. Sometimes responsibilities like washing dishes, mowing the lawn, or working extra hours on a project need to wait so that we can spend time with the Lord or family or friends. Other things just might be more important at the moment. I don't advocate untidy lawns and I don't think he does either. But he got a glimpse of the shortness of life thru the death of his wife and he........ he made a decision to spend what time he had left doing important things. Mowing wasn't one of them!

Martha had that problem too you know. Mary sat down and just spent time with Jesus even though there was cooking to do , people to serve, and dishes to wash. She had decided that "other things" were just more important. Today, I too had a similar choice. My son was home for an unexpected visit. Actually he was passing through Jackson on the way to some business appointments, but decided to stay the night with us. My routine is to get up early, go on the back porch for bible study and prayer time, then head out the door to Curves for a workout by 8 am. It's a discipline that I need in my life and I try to not waiver from because, believe me, I would let almost anything be an excuse for not workingout.

But this morning Colby came outside very early. I could tell he needed to talk. He began by saying he didn't want to interrupt my quiet time. I sensed it was a divine appointment in the making. We talked quite a while and he became aware that 8 o'clock was approaching and didn't want to detain me from Curves. I told him Curves could wait and we kept talking. Some things in life are just more important than others aren't they?? I've missed many important things because I opted for the lesser. I don't want to do that anymore. So how do we keep from it? I'm not sure. Maybe I need a sign in MY yard. Yep......going to get me a sign. What will the sign say? "Not going to mow the grass anymore," of course! Don't worry it's just a reminder!

No comments: